Monday, June 28, 2010

Calm before the storm!

Over the past couple weeks, I have been psychologically preparing for July 1 ie the commencement of residency.....I've been sleeping in late and taking naps as much as possible, going to the pool, and avoiding thoughts of "oh my gosh, I have no more safety net because now I'M the doctor!" We also started orientation June 15 which shocked me back into reality and has consisted of the following:

1. HIPAA training
2. Paperwork
3. Free breakfast and lunch!
4. Paperwork
5. Receiving my LONG white coats (and subsequently forgetting to add the "MD" after my name when I took them to get embroidered....ooops!)
6. Paperwork
7. Meeting/trying to remember the names of the other 140+ interns
8. Receiving my pager (which I'm sure will soon haunt my dreams)
9. Receiving my name badge...complete with my head-tilt Glamour Shot!
10. Paperwork
11. Surgical Skills Lab
12. Getting fingerprinted at the VA....ahhhh, government healthcare.

What's scary is: I only have a few more hours until I'm actually going to be held accountable! I am so anxious that I won't be able to provide the level of care that my patients deserve, but I guess that's all part of the learning process.....and why they keep telling us to call our chief residents and attendings if we have questions! I already have telephone numbers programmed into my phone with full intentions to utilize them as often as necessary :)

My next post will be about my first night on call - should be entertaining!

1 comment: